What is Reflexology?
Reflexology helps reduce stress, lower blood pressure, improve heart function, and calm body, mind, and spirit. Reflexology is a complementary holistic health science and is administered through reflex points on the face, hands and feet. There are 7,200 reflex points on each foot and hand, as well as 564 neurological points on the face.
Each of these points correspond to every bone, gland and organ in the body. The intention of the Reflexologist is to locate uric acid deposits and break them up using their fingers and thumbs. Uric acid is a waste product that causes inflammation and congestion in the body. The treatment increases blood circulation, enhances nerve function and lowers cortisol levels (the stress hormone). By assisting the body in reducing uric acid, pain is relieved throughout the body.
Reflexology is the stimulation of reflex points on the feet, hands, ears and face. It uses over 45 specialized finger, thumb and hand techniques that are used on reflex points. These points are representative of parts of the brain, spine, glands, organs, muscles, nerves and other part of the body. By palpating these areas, the area of dysfunction in the body will improve.
Reflexology actually encourages the body to heal–not just bring relief to symptoms. Reflexology doesn’t do the healing–your body does. In my experience, the younger you are and the healthier you are–the faster the body heals.
What’s the purpose of Reflexology?
1. Reduces the effects of stress and tension.
2. Improves nerve, blood and lymphatic supply.
3. Promotes normalization and balance of body systems which is called “homeostasis”.
How does it Work?
1. There are approximately 7200 nerves that create an estimated 200,000 nerve endings in each hand and foot.
2. Pressure is applied to a reflex point comprised of a cluster of nerve endings.
3. The nerve carries this signal (stimulus) to the brain.
4. The brain responds, sometimes with pain.
5. The body mobilizes its own healing forces.
Reflexology Cans and Cannots
1. Reflexology is a persuasive, non-invasive therapy with few medical contraindications. Reflexology cannot cause health problems.
2. Reflexology eases stress and tension, which in turn can improve blood circulation, lymph drainage, assist in the elimination of toxins, and strengthening of the immune system.
3. Reflexology can be a valuable way of indicating areas where higher stress or tension is present in the body and can assist to relieve that stress or tension which can promote or encourage the natural healing process.
4. Reflexology benefits patient’s health in both chronic and acute ailments.
5. Reflexologists are not medical practitioners and are not allowed to diagnose ailments or treat disease.
6. Reflexology is not a substitute for medical treatment, and should be considered as complementary to any type of medical treatment.
7. Reflexology does not increase, decrease, replace, alter or over-stimulate the body’s functioning ability.